Network security threat is no longer a new challenge for most companies. In recent years, there have been series of network security threats that cost the victims billion of dollars in losses. Recently, a US bank suffered a devastating loss from network security attacks. The bank lost a whopping $45 million in less than 24 hours. If your company is at the risk of network security threat, what can you do to handle the threat?
The way out
If you are at the risk of cyber attack, these practical tips can serve as effective preventive measures:
- Install a firewall to protect your networks: Without an efficient firewall, you make your organization a sitting duck, very vulnerable to sudden cyber attacks. Without this barrier, cyber criminals will have easy access to your network and breach it without impunity. However, a functional firewall will prove a formidable opposition for the cyber criminals. You’ve just posted an efficient security operative at your door if you install a firewall.
- Install antivirus software programs: One of the most efficient ways to breach a network security is through viral attacks. By spreading virus from one system to another, you increase your chances of being compromised. Some powerful attack here may include Trojan Horses, Phishing, worms and viruses. It is imperative, then, that you install very powerful and up-to-date antivirus software programs on your network. That will work in alliance with the firewall to fortify the security of your network against attacks.
- Train your staff: Sometimes, a display of ignorance from your members of staff may trigger an alarm for attackers to strike. For instance, if your staff members have the habit of opening any email on their systems, they are vulnerable to phishing. Phishing schemes are very dangerous and can cost your company dearly. Some periodic training by experts on IT security measures will give them a good idea of what preventive measures they can take to reduce their exposure to attacks. You can make provision for some members of the IT department to attend seminars and workshops on IT security. When they return, you can hold a training session for other members of staff.
- Install an intruder detector: You don’t get a prize for guessing the function of this detector. It detects suspicious activities on your network and report immediately to the IT department for proper action. Such suspicious activities may include an unauthorized access to a confidential file, system vulnerability check, file settings monitoring, malware scan, and other activities that may compromise the network security of the company.
- Penetration testing: This preventive measure requires the IT professionals to mimic the mode of operation of hackers to identify the potential loopholes that hackers may want to exploit. If your network security professionals perform this testing regularly, they will always be a step ahead of your potential attackers.
Although you are not completely immune to attacks, these preventive measures will reduce your vulnerability while you put all the necessary measures to minimize your loss, if you eventually suffer an attack.